We're Hiring Year-round Crew Members Starting February, 2021
ABOUT THE FARM:
Lakeview Hill Farm is a certified organic produce farm in Traverse City, MI that specializes in greenhouse and hoophouse production. The farm supplies high-quality vegetables to Traverse City and the surrounding area. Since the farm started in 2017, owners John Dindia and Bailey Samp have been committed to renewable energy, relying on 100% on-farm solar-powered electricity and utilizing a high efficiency gasification wood boiler to heat the farm and greenhouses. The small, diversified farm is operating in four 34 x148’ greenhouses, two caterpillar tunnels, and 2 acres of field production. The farm has year-round production of baby leaf greens, microgreens, and shoots, along with early season heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers.
We are now hiring for crew members for the 2021 season. All positions are year-round and ideal candidates will play an integral role in the growth and development of the farm. We are committed to offering sustainable and reliable jobs in the agriculture industry. Each employee will be a key member of the team, grow with the farm, and share equal responsibility on the farm.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Work directly with the farm owner/operators and other crew members
● Contribute on all aspects of the farm including: greenhouse work, field
preparations, soil fertility, irrigation, cover cropping, planting, cultivating, harvesting, weeding, building new farm infrastructure, washing, packing, deliveries
● Assist Owner/Operator in the wash and pack station, and be able to manage in case of their absence
● Work and lead at the farmers markets every other week from May to October
● Assist in creating farm SOPs, lean farming practices, and contributing to the
future and success of the farm
● Weekend chores when owner/operators are away
● Ability to maintain a clean and safe work environment (COVID-19 protocols will be strictly enforced)
● Interest in local, sustainable agriculture and farming practices
● Must be a good listener and take direction well from owner/operators
● Ability to work long hours in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to work independently while staying motivated, as well as with the farm
owner/operator, and other members of a small team
● Ability to lift 50 pounds and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of
weather conditions. (heat, rain, snow, etc.)
● Must be organized and show attention to detail
● Expected to arrive at work on time with a good attitude
● Must be self-motivated and interested in learning new farming methods
● Quality, speed, and efficiency are important
● Experience operating a tractor and using hand held tools
● Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
● 2 or more years of experience in small-scale vegetable production and greenhouse production
● Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
● Managerial Experience
● Ability to lead a small team
This is a salary position, DOE $28,000 - $40,000. 10 days paid vacation/sick leave. Expect to work an average of 50 hours during high season and 30 hours in the Winter, hours may not be consistent from week to week but will average to 2000 hours (40 hours per week) over the course of one year.
IRA matching/health care benefits may be available after completion of 3 years. Housing is not available at this time.
Email a resume, brief description of interest, and two references (with at least one from previous or current employer) to email@example.com.
Accepting applicants until the position is filled, the ideal start date is February 1, 2021.